Apheresis means the process of separation of the required blood components from the blood of single donor and returning simultaneously the rest of unrequited blood components to the donor’s body by fully automatic apheresis machine. In our Blood Bank, we are carrying out “PLATELET APHERESIS” at present.
Types Of Apheresis
- Plasmapheresis - blood plasma.
- Plateletpheresis - blood platelets.
- Leukapheresis - leukocytes (white blood cells).
- Stem cell harvesting - circulating bone marrow cells are harvested to use in bone marrow transplantation
- LDL apheresis - removal of low density lipoprotein in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia